Monday, March 13, 2006

We're Not In Kansas Anymore...Thankfully!

On Tuesday morning (March 7th) , I awoke at about 4:40, before the alarm went off (it was set for 5:00). I showered, dressed, finished packing the last of my items and loaded them into the car and I was off! I left at 5:13.

Remember in my blog entry titled "I Could Sit and Watch It for Hours" I said that on Monday I had missed the turn-off from 6th Avenue to I-25 north? Well, I did it again. I thought at first that maybe I was being diverted off I-25 as a detour. Parts of I-25 are under construction and there are signs throughout downtown Denver about detours. I actually think it's just ambiguous signage. I think there is a right lane I'm supposed to take, and THEN I was supposed to turn off to the right. I kept turning off to the right and ending up in downtown Denver. Fortunately, I was about to recover relatively quickly and get back onto I-25 north.

Then, I screwed up and missed the turn off from I-25 to I-70 east. Fortunately I was about to make take the next exit and turn back around, get back onto I-25 and then get onto I-70 east. I guess I was more tired than I thought.

From this point, I pretty much stayed on I-70 for the next 850 miles or so. Once exiting Colorado, the first state I entered was Kansas. If the I-70 route through Kansas is any indication, Kansas is a long, flat, boring place to live. And to make matters worse, the state speed limit is only 65. If Missouri is the "Show Me" state, then Kansas is the "Blow Me" state. It just pretty much blows. And THAT is why it is inundated with tornadoes. Even Kansas City tried to get out of Kansas; that's why half of it is in Missouri. It must have gotten stopped before it could get completely over the border.

Missouri was a little better. It isn't as long as Kansas and there are at least a few hills and trees.

I saw the arch in St. Louis from the highway. I was hoping I would get to check it out after I arrived. But I was actually staying about 15 miles from St. Louis in Fairview Heights, Illinois. By the time I got settled at my hotel, the arch was already closed for the evening. I just got some dinner and was tired. After all, I had just driven 13 hours. So I watched a little television and went to bed.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to see the arch before I left Wednesday morning. And did I get to see the arch? Stay tuned for my next blog entry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home